Saturday, January 21, 2012

...An Everyday Fashion Copycat

Okay, so you know how my sister's and I had talked about posting fashion stuff whenever we tried anything new or just wanted to show each other? Well, here's some more that I did.  I found pictures of this blog on my sisters' ipad, and I just fell in love with this girl's style. So I found her blog. You should check it out by clicking here.
Anyway, so I have this bad habit of loving the fashions that I cannot afford, simply because I'm a poor college student with a less-than-part-time job and just can't afford to go shopping all the time. Let alone going shopping to get the things that I really really like.  So...instead, when I find a cute blog like hers, I'll save the pictures, then go through them and try to see if I have anything within my wardrobe already that I could use to re-create a similar look. So I use the clothes that I have from normal, every day department stores instead of the high-class, expensive ones (even though that is truly where I would find my style exactly how I love it...)

So, on Tuesday,  this is the outfit I tried to copy. 


However, this is Utah. In the winter. So it's cold! So I had to adjust it slightly to fit the weather, and also because I just didn't have exactly what she does. But this is what I wore to re-create it. 
(Keep in mind that all of these pictures were taken at the end of the day, 
so they're probably not the best- plus I'm not much of a model compared to her.) 


She caught me laughing


I do love trees.

Outfit breakdown: Long-sleeve gray thermal: Anchor Blue,  cream knitted sweater: Old Navy, belt: Forever 21, stripped skirt: Papaya, cream heels: JCPenny


The next day, Wednesday, I tried to copy another one her outfits, but I didn't like how the pictures turned out so maybe I'll wear it again and take better pictures. Thursday I kinda just did my own thing. Looking at her pictures reminded me of some things I've had in the back of my closet for a while now that actually could have been used for some similar outfits like hers. But, I can't wear jeans to work, so I kinda just came up with this one on my own. Here it is.







Outfit breakdown: blouse: Kohl's (elle), cardigan: I honestly don't remember, gray pencil skirt: Forever 21, Belt: leftover fabric from my maxi skirt, gray tights: temporary gift from friend who is out of the country for the season, cream shoes: JCPenny. 

For my hair, I separated the two sections in the front and held them to the side while I slightly backcombed the top section of my hair. Then I pulled my hair back into a simple twisted bun, still leaving the two front sections out. Once the bun was up, then I pulled back each section and wrapped it around the bun and pinning it in place, creating somewhat of a head-band look with my hair.  


So those are my attempts to put some style in my life, so far. I just enjoy the fact that, while I might have expensive taste, I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars creating an outfit from the top name-brand stores- I can create my own, affordable style that has a similar affect. So, let me know what you think. Tips, suggestions, requests?  If you have an outfit you'd like to see me try to recreate, email it to me and I might just try it out! I find this fun, and it's started to give me a variety in my day-to-day wardrobe, even if  I do feel slightly awkward walking around campus so dressed up sometimes. It's so much easier to feel happy about many things in life when you feel pretty and confident in how you look that day. Looks are not everything, but one of the first things people will notice about you is how you present yourself, and it never hurst to present yourself at your best.  =)  

1 comment:

  1. sister.
    You're pretty amazing. I still have not even started thinking about the blog this year. i LOVE what you have done so far though. Keep it up! Love you.

    ReplyDelete